Tuesday 6 September 2011

"To wear dreams on one's feet is to give reality to one's dreams"

Bear witness to the pair of shoes that I am going to buy with my first "proper" paycheck. My friend and I decided on a pair of these each would be the perfect celebration on the success of finding a job after uni. (That is assuming I will find a job...eeep)

Now what is it about Louboutins or just stilettos in general that makes them so desired? They hurt my feet quite a lot and the street I live on just isn't "high-heel appropriate" with its uneven surface and steep incline. So I did a little bit of research...

*clears throat* now the invention of the heeled shoe dates back to the ancient Egyptian times when the butchers wore heels to raise themselves about the guts on the floor... >>... in the 16th century italian women wore chopines (SOME AS HIGH AS 30 INCHES?!) ... WHAT? apparently brides who tried this in england could have their marriages annulled...>>... here we go, in the late 19th century the high heel was encouraged on boots to show off your bustle to its best. Makes sense.

Ok, finally onto the 1950s, Roger Vivier is said to have invented the first stiletto heel. Women lapped it up to do the effect it had on the body, lengthening the spine and calves, curving the back and thrusting the chest forward. In the words of Vivier "To wear dreams on one's feet is to give reality to one's dreams".

In the 1980s the stilhetto came into the work place, with women seeking equality to men height was synonymous with power. Thankfully the shoulder pads and perms were left back in the 80s and the stiletto is still present in any well dressed work woman's wardrobe. (Her feet kept intact due to the trainers she walks to work in and then pops on her stilettos as she walks in the front door.)

Time for my thoughts on the matter, I once overheard an acquaintance commenting on how "chubby ladies" are never to be seen without well done nails and towering high heels. Although his comment was quite mean he does have a point. I know on a day when I'm not feeling at my slimmest or my hair is being a nightmare if I wear nice shoes then I instantly feel a little but more attractive. If I was a larger girl I don't think my heels would leave my feet. A family friend of ours is about a size 18, so not the smallest girl but also not the largest I've ever met. She once confessed to owning EIGHTY FIVE pairs of heels, for a 30 year old that is quite a lot of heels... in her own words "well I know no matter what my weight fluctuates to my shoes will always fit me, and they will always look nice on my feet, the same cannot be said for any other item of clothing that I own".

I completely agree with her. When I get my shoes I will wear them forever, their mid-height, black patent style will never go out of fashion. It may be misguided investing so much emotion and money into footwear but it worked out for Cinderella and Dorothy, why not for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment