Wednesday 28 September 2011

Come on shoe designers...

My good friend Alex is one of my favourite dressers. She combines everyday essentials with kookier items (tablecloth dress anyone?) and as such she can be described as quite the resourceful shopper.

There is, however, one wardrobe essential that has eluded her for many a year..... a pair of wedges.

I'm not sure the exact specifications a wedge must meet for Alex to be satisfied but with summer coming up, she is not alone in her struggle.

Example of the A-typical wedge:
It's not too horrific I hear you say, agreed, I deliberately chose potentially the nicest ones on ASOS, and they can be all yours for only £60! But here is where my issues come into play:

Ankle straps: Very few people can do ankle straps, actually quite a few can, very few non-skinny people should do ankle straps. I hear the dreaded word "cankle" echoing around my head and I am pretty sure the nausea will follow me into my dreams. 

The "wedge texture": i.e what the wedge is made out of. I do believe a wedge should be the same texture as the rest of the shoe UNLESS is super expensive wood. The prime example of what I mean by this is shown by the monstrosity below:
(Thanks amazon.com for that one, they're surprisingly on sale...)

Peep toe: Excluding summer wedges which should be peep toe as all sandals are, the winter wedge is ALWAYS peep toe when it really shouldn't be. I want to send a memo to designers informing them that in winter WOMEN WEAR TIGHTS. Yes, you know you do. I slightly think the wedge/tight situation is responsible for the socks and wedges trend of last year. You love your wedges and you love your feet being warm but no one loves those seams awkwardly showing through your peep toe. Round toes in winter please designers.

And then there's a point that rarely can be avoided, it's hard to find a wedge that just doesn't exude kitchness. 

I TAKE IT ALL BACK I JUST FOUND THESE... only $505.... damn you net-a-porter and your glorious goodness.

CARVEN

Two-tone leather wedge moccasins




I think I should change the subject of this to be; "There are no nice wedges.... that I can afford" :( sad face. 

1 comment:

  1. Paxtecum is a one of the best places for great deals and savings on authentic brand name items from designer bags, jeans, shoes, tshirts and more. Shop Now!

    ReplyDelete